Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Liquid courage.

For a few months, I've had random people say, "your life is insane. you should blog" (or something similar to that). After that advice and the fact that I will most likely NEVER run a marathon again, I thought I would blog about it.

So, here we go!

Let's just say I've had better ideas than running the Boston marathon. One of the women I run with (let's call her, Jean) was seriously questioning my sanity when I decided to train for this. It was a somewhat easy decision to at least apply to train and run with the Dana Farber Marathon Challenge. I had no idea at the time how competitive the DF team is. Against my better judgement (and a few glasses of wine later) I decided to go ahead and apply. What could it hurt to apply? I knew this year I was going to raise money in memory of RJ, so why not do it for the DFMC? I'd have to time to decide if I could or wanted to accept the challenge (if they accepted me first). I knew I could raise the money (thanks to you!!) What I didn't know is if I could commit to training. In Boston. In the winter. While I was in grad school and working full time. Thank you, liquid courage!

After weeks and weeks of not hearing from Dana Farber, I decided to stalk them through email. This turned in to about one email a week until I finally got denied. Well, I actually was "waitlisted" but to me, that just meant I was denied. By this point, I was already amped up and running more than usual. So, I decided to stay true to my Italian roots and not take "no" for an answer. I emailed them again and asked what were the chances I would be accepted this year? What number was I on the waitlist? Is there anything I can do to increase my chances? All I can say is within the next 4 hours, I had basically re-written my budget and fundraising goals and eventually was accepted!

My liquid courage has changed from a glass of red wine to gallons of pink gatorade.

No comments:

Post a Comment